“This is my first front-page story on climate in a year,” said Margot Roosevelt, one of this year’s Earth Journalism Fellows –10 journalists from the United States who joined 31 CCMP Fellows from the developing world in Cancun. Roosevelt produced two front-page stories for the LA Times from Cancun, along with a story on the front page of the business section.
For the Fellows, the opportunity to report from the climate talks provided much more than first-person coverage of negotiations. “I have a year’s worth of material,” said Roosevelt, noting that her attendance at the summit – which would not have been possible without support from EJN – provided her an opportunity to develop invaluable contacts in climate science and policy.
Reporter Eyram Acolatse said she returned to Ghana “bubbling with ideas” of how to cover Ghana’s first commercial production of oil from new angles.
- At climate summit, they're feeling like deserted islands, by Margot Roosevelt. LA Times, December 4, 2010
- Mexican state seeks to join California in carbon emissions effort, by Margot Roosevelt. LA Times, December 10, 2010
- U.N. pacts contain small steps but no broad accord on climate change, by Margot Roosevelt. LA Times, December 12, 2010
- Google opens world's forests for all to see, by Suzanne Bohan. Contra Costa Times, December 13, 2010
- Global warming protesters ramp up with climate talks' failure, Slideshow by Mark Malijan, Story by Margot Roosevelt. LA Times, December 13, 2010
- California Plan May Affect Deforestation Abroad, by Gretchen Weber. The California Report, December 13, 2010
- In Cancun, protest breaks out against REDD by Meena Menon. The Hindu, December 9, 2010
- Jordan receives $200,000 grant from World Bank by Farah Atyyat. Al Ghad (Arabic), December 10, 2010
- Last minute: optimism raises in Cancun summit by Martín De Ambrosio. Diario Perfil (Spanish),December 11, 2010
- Cancun restores faith in the fight against climate change by Pablo Fonseca. La Nación (Spanish),December 13, 2010
- Read blog posts from the Fellows on the CCMP Website